The Adopt-A-Street program encourages local churches, businesses, organizations, and groups to “adopt” city streets to clean and beautify throughout the year – similar to the popular “Adopt a Highway” program ran by the Department of Transportation. This initiative was proposed to the Kinston City Council on January 5, 2015 and was supported by the Council and Kinston Public Services.
- There is no fee associated with adopting a city street in this program.
- There is a two (2) year agreement between the adopter and the City of Kinston, with cleanups scheduled every three (3) months (or more at the discretion of the adopter).
- Each volunteer participating in the cleanup must review the safety guidelines and be at least twelve (12) years of age.
- A cleanup report must be submitted by the adopting group after each cleanup.
- An “Adopt-A-Street” sign recognizing the name of the adopter will be placed on each end of the roadway.
How to Adopt
Interested parties can pick up a form at Kinston Public Services, or our office, and return them to us by mail or to either location. Applications are additionally available below as a downloadable file, and an online form.
Adopt a Street Application
Application for the Adopt-a-Street program. PDF Document. Size: 192 KB.
Adopt a Street Cleanup Report
Cleanup report for the Adopt-a-Street program. PDF Document. Size: 155 KB.